Dengue Outbreak: 5 effective home remedies
Disclaimer: This advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.
Dengue fever is on the rise.
Last week, the Ministry of Health declared a dengue fever outbreak in St Lucia with 168 confirmed cases of the viral infection.
There is no specific treatment for dengue and management is supportive based on clinical presentation.
Some of the symptoms include high fever, headaches, pain behind the eyes, fatigue, joint pain, skin rash, nausea and vomiting. Dengue fever needs urgent medical care to treat the condition on time. However, there are some effective remedies which can help control the symptoms of dengue.
Here are some home remedies that you can follow in case you contact the virus by any chance.
- Papaya leaf juice – Papaya leaf juice is a great remedy to increase platelet count in dengue patients as well as improving immunity which helps to treat the virus. To use papaya leaves for dengue, take some papaya leaves and crush them to extract juice out of it. You can consume a small quantity of papaya leaf juice twice a day for better results.
- Fenugreek seeds – Fenugreek seeds a rich in multiple nutrients which can help fight dengue. You can soak some fenugreek seeds in a cup of hot water. Allow the water to cool down and drink it twice a day. Fenugreek water will also provide you other health benefits as it is rich in vitamin C, K and fibre. Fenugreek water will bring down fever and boost immunity. They can be found at most of the health shops on the island.
- Basil leaves – Basil is a miraculous herb which boosts immunity. Chewing 5-6 basil leaves boosts your immunity and has been recommended as an effective treatment for dengue fever. Basil leaves have essential oils with natural insecticidal properties which keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Drink sufficient water - Excessive sweating and exertion during dengue fever can lead to extreme dehydration. As a result, ensure that you take a lot of fluids and drink water at frequent intervals to keep your body well hydrated. Staying hydrated also reduces the symptoms of headaches, as well as muscle cramps. Water also helps in flushing out excess toxins from your body to help you recover.
- Neem leaves – Neem has a number of medicinal properties. If properly brewed can help improve the immune system of persons suffering from dengue. Steep neem leaves and drink the brew.
If you notice any symptoms of dengue fever, seek medical attention. These remedies can help you control dengue fever effectively but do not rely on home remedies for too long.