Have you tried banana nice-cream?
If you haven’t already heard of the banana “nice cream” trend, it’s time to hop on the bandwagon.
It is a seriously creamy, delicious and completely healthy alternative to traditional ice-cream. The banana is neutral and is a great base for other flavors such as peanut butter and adds a natural sweetness without refined sugar.
This 'ice-cream' is a worthy substitute for non-dairy eaters. This is not really a recipe as such, it’s more of a hack and one of those things you learn about when you go vegan or trying to eat healthier.
I wish I knew whom I can credit with the invention of this masterpiece as whoever came up with this is a genius. I recently made the banana and peanut butter version of this 'ice-cream' and I must say it tastes better than the store-bought ones. Here’s how you make it.
- 2 large bananas sliced and frozen
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- Mixed fruits for garnishing (optional)
- Place frozen banana slices and peanut butter in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Initially, the mixture will turn to a crumbly texture but if you persevere it will soon (5 minutes tops) turn to the most beautiful, soft, and fluffy soft-serve ice cream texture.
- If you are after a soft serve, consume immediately. Otherwise, place smooth banana mixture in a freezer-friendly container and freeze until solid. Let it thaw for a few minutes before scooping.
- Scoop into a bowl and add mixed fruits at the top
PLAY AROUND WITH FLAVOR COMBINATIONS.
Make it sweeter: If the ice cream is not sweet enough with just the banana, add some honey or maple syrup to it, to keep it refined sugar free.
Use only bananas! If you only have bananas, you can make this a one-ingredient ice cream just as easily.
Add extra ingredients - Add some mangoes, passionfruit, coconut or avocados to the mix. Add some vanilla extract or spices such as cinnamon or ginger. How about some coffee, chocolate and wine for a grown-up treat?
I’m getting so excited here. You can add anything you want to this recipe to satisfy your taste buds. Just keep it healthy!