Terror Attack Warnings for Trinidad Carnival
Canadians and British tourists have been warned of potential terror attacks in Trinidad and Tobago following reports of a threat to disrupt Carnival in which four people were arrested.
The UK High Commission updated its travel advisory reflecting an ‘increased threat’ as follows:
“Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Trinidad and Tobago; the Trinidad and Tobago authorities have arrested some individuals who planned to carry out attacks against Carnival on 12 and 13 February 2018; an attack is still possible; the Trinidad and Tobago government is increasing security measures for the Carnival; you should remain vigilant and avoid crowded places and large gatherings.”
Likewise, the Canadian High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago has also warned Canadian tourists to watch out for terrorist attacks.
“The Government of Trinidad and Tobago has arrested individuals who planned to carry out an attack at Carnival, which is taking place from February 11 to 13, 2018. An attack still cannot be ruled out. The Government of Trinidad and Tobago has increased security measures around Carnival events. If you are attending or plan to attend Carnival, exercise extreme caution.”
The advisory adds that terrorist attacks in Trinidad could “occur at any time”.
In an emergency media briefing on Thursday, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) said four suspects had been held after police learned of a plot to disrupt Carnival.
The TTPS PRO Assistant Superintendent Michael Jackman said active operations are continuing in relation to the threat and added that the safety of the public is of paramount importance during this time.
In light of these developments, members of the public are urged to exercise extreme caution and report suspicious activities.