Tuesday 29 September, 2020

Day 1 of Roger Murder Trial: Witness called to the stand

British National, Roger Pratt

British National, Roger Pratt

The Roger Pratt murder trial began today, Tuesday, January 28, 2020.

Witness testimony began in the trial of four men accused in the murder of British national, Roger Pratt in January 2014.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Daarsrean Greene gave his opening statement before a jury of three men and twelve women.

“We are prepared to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, the four accused are responsible for the death of Roger Pratt,” Greene told jurors as opening statements began in the highly anticipated murder trial.

Roger Pratt, 62, was killed and his wife Margaret, 60, was injured when bandits attacked their boat as it lay anchored in the Vieux Fort bay, the night of January 14, 2014.

Jeromine Jones, Richie Kern, Kervin Devaux and Fanis Jospeh were all charged for the 2014 murder and has pleaded not guilty.

Greene called his first witness to the stand; Scott Davis, a technologist who resides in the United States of America.

Davis flew from Miami to Saint Lucia on January 14, 2014, to pick up his boat ‘Mystic Muse’ from the boatyard at Rodney Bay to sail to Grenada.

The Mystic Muse set sail for Grenada and left Rodney Bay on January 17, 2014.

According to Davis, he stopped in Vieux Fort around 3 pm.

Anchored in the Vieux Fort Bay were five vessels, including the Magnetic Attraction belonging to the Pratts anchored approximately 500ft away from shore.

“At about 11 pm, I was watching a movie on my boat and I heard loud screams,” Davis told the court.

Davis then went inside and turned on his VHF radio.

“I heard a mayday from the Magnetic Attraction. I responded to the mayday, I talked to Margaret on the radio, (I did not know her).

Upon hearing a voice on the other end, Davis says he questioned Mrs Pratt the reason for the mayday.

“She said that her husband was missing. I asked if she wanted me to come over to assist her, she said yes please.”

“I put on a headlamp, put my kayak in the water and paddled across the Magnetic Attraction for approximately five minutes. I could see something moving in the water but it was very dark.”

Upon arrival on the yacht, Davis was met with a dishevelled Caucasian female covered in blood, repeating that her husband was missing.

“I found a naked Caucasian man faced down, a few inches underwater. I jumped in the and swam to him. I turned him on his back and pulled his head out of the water. I yelled his name in his ear. I could not perform CPR in the water so I called for help. A dingy from the Odyssey 2 (One of the five vessels anchored in the bay) with two crew members pulled Roger out the water. The crew began CPR immediately but he was not breathing,” Davis recalled.

Davis said at that point he returned to the Magnetic Attraction to a bloody and ransacked cockpit.

Day one of the trial concluded with no cross-examination from the four defence attorneys; Alberton Richelieu, George Charlemagne, Sandy John and David Moyston.

 High court Judge, Madam Justice Margaret Price Findley then proceed to end for the day.

The trial is expected to continue Wednesday, January, 28 with more witness testimony.


Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: