Jamaican businessman released by kidnappers in T&T - reports
Created : 5 June 2019
A Jamaican businessman who was abducted in Trinidad & Tobago in April has been released after 51 days in captivity, according to media reports in the twin island republic.
T&T police reportedly said Yohan Chin was released about 7 am Tuesday but declined to give further information.
A US$6 million ransom had reportedly been demanded by the kidnappers for Chin's safe return, but it is unclear if it or any amount of money was paid.
Chin's business partner informed police of Chin's abduction two days after it occurred. The business partner reportedly told police that he had received a call from Chin via telephone informing him that armed men wearing ski masks and hats displaying the word 'Police' had abducted Chin.
Chin’s family, which reportedly owns a chain of businesses in Jamaica and Canada, made an appeal for his safe return last month via newspaper advertisements.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: