Loop Sunday Lunch: Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Created : 13 January 2019
What's for lunch?
Try this comforting Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy courtesy Best Recipe Box:
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 480 kcal
For the steak:
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
lots fresh ground black pepper , or to taste
1 Tablespoon cooking oil , for searing beef patties
For the Mushroom Gravy
2 tablespoons butter
8 ounces mushrooms , sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
3 cups broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. In large bowl mix together all the steak ingredients (beef, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper). Shape into 4 oval patties.
2. Heat large pan over medium-high heat and then add oil. Brown both sides of patties (about 1 minute per side) and then remove from the pan.
3. Keep same pan and beef juices over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until onions are golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Add garlic and butter. Cook for about 1 minute.
5. Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring to remove lumps. Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of beef stock, whisking until incorporated.
6. Pour in the remaining broth and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).
7. Reduce heat to medium, stirring often, simmer until the gravy starts to thicken, about 5-10 minutes. Add salisbury steak patties back into the gravy and cook until the steak patties are cooked to your preferred doneness (usually about 5-10 minutes), stirring the gravy occasionally around the steaks. Taste for seasoning and add more salt & pepper, if desired.
Serve the steaks topped with the mushroom sauce. They are excellent over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes!
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: