Thursday 12 December, 2019

Royal Saint Lucia Police Force has dismissed four officers this year

ACP George Nicholas

ACP George Nicholas

The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force has dismissed four police officers from their ranks so far this year and is sounding a warning to the rest of the rank and file that wrongdoing will not be tolerated.

George Nicholas, who is the Assistant Commissioner of Police (acting) with responsibility for territorial policing, told reporters today October 24, 2019, that the force has dealt with a number of matters against police officers with nine having been convicted “through our disciplinary system.”

“We have a way of dealing with our police officers when they infringe the very same law that we seek to enforce,” Nicholas said.

One of the dismissed police officers has appealed his case. The matter is pending in the courts. The others still have time to appeal as that window is still open. The nine officers were fined a total of 64 days without pay.

“We do have a disciplinary system in the system that works. We have a superintendent who is designated to hear disciplinary matters against police officers and we are encouraging members of the public who feel they have been wronged by a police officer to come in and make a report. I can guarantee you, rest assured that the matter will be investigated,” Nicholas said.

Three other police officers are presently on suspension, charged for committing offences. One charged for perjury, one for possession of drugs and another for assault, according to Nicholas, who confirmed that a police officer was arrested and charged for wounding on Monday of this week. That officer is currently on bail.

“The number of matters pending against police officers are a cause of concern for us. We preach on a daily basis to the officers that while we are enforcing the law, we need to confine our actions within the framework of the law.  We cannot break the same laws we seek to enforce and they are quite aware that measures will be taken against them,” Nicholas said.

The Acting Assistant Commissioner called on police officers to curtail their behaviour when dealing with members of the public.

The Criminal Investigation Department is presently investigating a matter in which it has been alleged that that two plainclothes police officers and a security guard assaulted a male individual and that a police vehicle was part of the brawl.

Nicholas said a report attesting to the brawl was made yesterday. “We are still determining whether the two persons involved are indeed police officers and whether the vehicle involved was a police vehicle,” Nicholas said.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: