St Lucia places in USA Today's 2019 Best of The Caribbean
USA Today's 10Best set out to find the "crème de la crème of the Caribbean," asking readers to vote on the Caribbean's best attractions, beaches, beach bars, dive sites, islands for romance, golf courses, resorts, rum distilleries and restaurants.
St Lucia faired well, claiming two spots in the top attractions, a spot on the top islands for romance, and one for the top resorts.
Here's what they said about St Lucia's picks:
#5. Gros Piton - "One of the best hikes on St. Lucia takes visitors to the top of 2,619 foot Gros Piton, one of the island’s most recognizable volcanic mountains. Views from the top extend across much of the island and into the Caribbean."
#6. Maria Islands Nature Reserve - "Declared a Nature Reserve in 1982, the Maria Islands are notable for their impressive biodiversity. Visitors will find more than 80 species of plants, five endemic reptile species (including one of the world’s rarest snakes) and numerous tropical plants. The reefs surrounding the islands offer excellent conditions for snorkeling."
"The top 10 winners in the Best Caribbean Attraction category are as follows:
- Nelson’s Dockyard - Antigua
- The Bob Marley Museum - Kingston, Jamaica
- Rainforest Adventures - Sint Maarten
- Clifton Heritage National Park - Bahamas
- Gros Piton - St. Lucia
- Maria Islands Nature Reserve - St. Lucia
- Arikok National Park - Aruba
- Jardin de Balata - Martinique
- Virgin Islands National Park - U.S. Virgin Islands
- Dunn's River Falls - Ocho Rios, Jamaica"
Best Caribbean Island for Romance:
#4. "Green-blanketed mountains, deep valleys, quaint fishing villages and hidden beaches lend St. Lucia some of the most drop-dead gorgeous scenery in the Caribbean. For couples, St. Lucia offers numerous intimate and luxurious resorts, fantastic nightlife with lots of live music and a lush interior teeming with unusual features."
"The top 10 winners in the Best Caribbean Island for Romance category are as follows:
- Green Turtle Cay - Bahamas
- St. Martin / Sint Maarten
- Saint Lucia
- Grand Turk
- Cat Island - Bahamas
- Elbow Cay - Bahamas"
Best Caribbean Resort:
#5. Jade Mountain: "Located above Anse Chastanet Beach on St. Lucia's southwestern coast, Jade Mountain is perhaps most famous for its 24 infinity pool sanctuaries and five sky jacuzzi suites overlooking the majestic Pitons and the Caribbean sea."
"The top 10 winners in the Best Caribbean Resort category are as follows:
- The Shore Club - Turks & Caicos
- Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort - Aruba
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa - Exuma, Bahamas
- Casa de Campo - Dominican Republic
- Jade Mountain - St. Lucia
- Grand Case Beach Club - St. Martin
- Spice Island Beach Resort - Grenada
- Four Seasons Resort Anguilla - Anguilla
- Curtain Bluff - Antigua
- Zemi Beach House Resort & Spa - Anguilla"