15 Superstitions Saint Lucians believe
Saint Lucians are superstitious people who have age-old traditions handed down by their elders as facts.
They believe that occurrences of nature, dreams or human errors can signal good or bad omens.
For example, my grandparents always used to tell me that green grasshoppers bring good news.
Do you believe in superstitions? Here is a list of some common superstitions for your reading pleasure.
- Friday the 13th is a day of bad luck and jinx
- Turn your broom upside down when you want visitors to leave
- Worried about a bad spirit following you home? Then be sure to walk through your front door backwards to prevent it from following you
- Wearing your underwear and clothes wrong side will keep ‘marjee noir’ and evil spirits away
- If your ears suddenly start ringing, it means someone is badmouthing you or mentioning your name
- If your right hand itches you will receive money, if your left hand itches you will spend money
- If you wear a ring on your ring finger, it prevents you from getting married
- Dreaming of funerals mean you or someone you know are going to tie the knot. However, if you dream of a wedding it means you or someone you know will die.
- A howling dog means the grim reaper is on his way or someone has died
- A big pimple on your face means you are getting ‘horn’ or you’re being cheated on
- Broken mirrors bring bad luck
- Throw salt over your shoulder before entering your house after a funeral to prevent spirits from following you
- If someone sweeps your foot, you will not get married
- If you eat in front of an animal who looks you in the eye and you do not share with them, you will get a carbuncle in your eye
- A woman who opens an umbrella indoors will never be married