Monday 13 July, 2020

UPDATE: Foreigners on drug charges sentenced

Two of the three non-nationals caught at the Grantley Adams International Airport attempting to bring drugs into the island will know their fate later this week when they appear in District B Magistrate’s Court for sentencing.

The other will call Her Majesty’s Prison at Dodd in St Philip his new home for the next 18 months.

Related Article

On Sunday, August 18, Canadian Serena Daniella Gentles, 20, and Jamaicans, Annika Andrea Henry, 32, and 59-year-old Osbourne Dixon were arrested in separate incidents and charged with Possession of Cannabis, Possession with intent to supply, Trafficking and Importation after they arrived in Barbados and were intercepted by customs officials at the airport.

Gentles was found with 47 transparent vacuum-sealed packages, each containing a quantity of vegetable matter suspected to be cannabis. They weighed 26.5 kilogrammes and had a street value of BB$212,000. 

Henry had been interviewed by police and searched by Customs. That search discovered four vacuum-sealed transparent packages, each containing a quantity of vegetable matter suspected to be cannabis concealed in a false side of her suitcase. 

The weight of the suspected cannabis was 1.8 Kilogrammes with an estimated street value of BB$14,512.

Both women pleaded guilty when they appeared before Magistrate Laurie-Ann Smith-Bovell and were remanded to HMP Dodds, pending sentencing on Thursday, August 22.

Dixon had cleared immigration and was stopped and interviewed by members of the Drug Squad. As a result of that interview, suspicion was aroused that he had ingested a controlled drug. 

He was arrested and taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and detained. While at the QEH, he passed out 53 packages of vegetable matter suspected to be cannabis with an estimated weight of one kilogram. Combined, the packages had an estimated street value of BB$8,000.

Appearing in the District B Magistrates' Court before Magistrate Smith-Bovell, he pleaded guilty to the four charges and was fined $10,000 on the charge of trafficking, or 18 months in prison.

The fine was not paid. 

On the other charges, he was convicted, reprimanded and discharged.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: