Monday 21 May, 2018

V.H. Gunshot Patient Under Watchful Eye of Police

A man hospitalized at Victoria Hospital with a gunshot wound is currently under the watchful eye of the police.

Loop News understands that the man came to the hospital on his own volition seeking treatment for a bullet wound he sustained in an incident he has so far failed to identify to police.

Police are still unclear as to whether the injured man is connected to the nation's 35th homicide that occurred last night outside the Domino's Pizza outlet at Caribbean Cinemas, Union where security guard, Urias Dwight Compton, who was stationed at the outlet, was fatally shot. The deceased was 42, of Corinth, Gros Islet.

Police are presently investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident. Loop News understands that the altercation that led to the shooting death of Compton started inside the pizza place when two masked assailants, armed with guns, made a grab at the money bags the security personnel was carrying. The security guard had just started the cash escort when the assailants jumped him. The assailants could not get the better of him as he put up a fight that continued outside the business place where the shooting occurred.

It is unclear exactly how much money was in the bags but a source close to the investigations told Loop News the total amount was under $3000.

The police press office today said officers attached to the Criminal Investigations Department in Castries received a report of the shooting about 8:15 p.m. last night.

“It is reported that Urias Compton, an on duty security officer, sustained gunshot injuries during a robbery by two masked assailants armed with firearms. An armed civilian who was in close proximity responded and an exchange of gunfire ensued between the assailants and the citizen, during which time, one of the suspects is believed to have sustained gunshot wounds. Both suspects subsequently fled the scene of the incident,” noted a statement from the police press department.

The statement also noted that Compton was later conveyed to the Victoria Hospital via ambulance, where he was pronounced dead by a medical practitioner about 10:20 p.m. A post mortem examination will be scheduled for a later date.