5 chilling events that occurred on Friday 13
Just like walking under a ladder, crossing paths with a black cat or breaking a mirror, Friday the 13th has long been considered a harbinger of bad luck.
Not only has the fear of this day inspired an iconic horror film franchise but two unwieldy terms; paraskavedekatriaphobia and friggatriskaidekaphobia have been used to describe the fear of this supposedly unlucky day.
There is no doubt that with the coronavirus pandemic sweeping the globe, the sinister date’s recurrence feels right on cue for the doom-and-gloom atmosphere of the moment.
The superstition of Friday the 13th is said to have originated from biblical times during the last supper which was attended by 13 people; Jesus Christ and his twelve disciples before his death, which was on a Friday.
Thanks to a string of unfortunate events that have occurred on this date, many think that it is jinxed and take precautions to avoid any tragedies on the date. Here are five spooky events that have happened on the legendary date.
- Horror writer dies - Famous horror writer William Peter Blatty who wrote The Exorcist, passed away on Friday 13, 2017. The making of The Exorcist, and the hysteria that surrounded its release, is known for the spooky myths that have given it a cult status. One story speaks of how the Catholic priest, Malachi Martin who inspired the story died after he fell when a possessed child spoke to him. A CIA agent says that he was pushed to his death by an invisible force.
- Uruguayan rugby team plane crashes into Andes mountains - One of the most famous tragedies of the day was the Uruguayan Air Force plane which crashed in the Andes in October 1972 on Friday the 13. Although 16 of the 45 passengers on board survived, they had to eat the dead passengers to stay alive.
- Tupac Shakur dies - Rapper Tupac Shakur was killed after a drive-by shooting on September 7, he survived for six days until he passed on Friday, September 13, 1996.
- Man who stayed in bed to avoid Friday 13, dies in a freak accident - A New York resident, Daz Baxter decided to stay home on Friday, August 13, 1976, because he was scared of any bad events happening to him. Sadly, his plan came to a tragic end when the floor beneath his bed collapsed and he plunged six floors to his death.
- Teen struck by lightning - On Friday, August 13, 2010, a teenager was struck by lightning in Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival in England and what was even weirder is that BBC reported he got hit just after lunchtime at 13:13 pm (1:13 pm). Luckily, the boy sustained only a minor burn to the shoulder.
Do you believe in Black Friday superstitions? Let us know in the comments.