Cedar Heights fire victims ask for help to rebuild
Donavan Clifford with sister Cresha Clifford
The family who lost their home in Cedar Heights, Vieux-Fort to a fire one week ago are calling out for assistance.
The three-bedroom wall building which Donavan Clifford and four other family members had occupied was destroyed by fire in the wee hours of Sunday, September 13, 2020.
The family was only able to save a fridge, a stove, and the clothes they were wearing at the time of the blaze.
The aftermath of the fire
Since then the family has made an appeal for assistance from the public, but according to Clifford, what they received so far has been less than what was expected.
“I am not satisfied with the assistance I have received so far but I am still thankful for the little I have received from friends and neighbors,” Clifford told Loop News.
He added: “Sometimes the help we get lasts just for a day or five minutes.”
According to him, the help they have received so far came mainly in the form of clothing.
“Right now, I have clothes,” Clifford said.
He said all forms of help will be accepted but would prefer it to be in the form of building materials or if it’s financial, enough to enable him to purchase building materials.
Clifford said the parliamentary representative for Vieux-Fort South, Dr Kenny Anthony has contacted them and has promised to assist.
However, according to him, despite his harrowing experience, he is confident that their situation will soon be improved.
“I am a positive thinker. I don’t think about negativity,” he said, adding that the family is strong.
Persons willing to assist should call 7240031 or 7167228.