Detoxing: What you need to know
Disclaimer: This article provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.
The human body is well equipped to get rid of toxins and other unnecessary, unwanted waste from the various systems that make it up.
However, due to unhealthy diets, the intake of alcohol and other toxic substances, chronic stress and exposure to environmental toxins, overtime the detoxification pathways may become clogged and the body may feel sluggish.
This can lead to a lack of energy, infections, and disease as our vital organs are subjected to daily stress and start to function less efficiently. Therefore, giving the body a much-needed cleanse can not only reset our systems but nurture or vital organs. People who detox feel so great afterwards that they continue to include some of the healthy lifestyle and dietary changes that the detox has introduced to them. The great thing about doing a cleansing detox is the many varied benefits you will experience.
Mental clarity, improved digestion, reduced pain/inflammation, reduced hormonal imbalances, more energy, weight loss and clearer skin are all major benefits of cleansing the body.
Is your body in need of a detox? Watch out for these tell-tale signs:
- Frequent skin breakouts, rashes, eczema, acne and other skin blemishes. You may also have a dull, tired, and lack-lustre complexion.
- Digestive problems like constipation, diarrhea, bloating, irregular bowel movement and stomach upset.
- Frequent bouts of cold sores, colds and flu and seem to pick up viruses quite easily, resulting in you being constantly medicated.
- General aches and pains, fatigue or low energy. You also feel anxious, chronically stressed and overwhelmed.
- You don’t feel rested after sleep or suffer from irregular sleep patterns.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, this may mean that your body needs a detox. One of the most popular ways to detox both your body and mind is fasting, which is promoted by many religions. However, this is not the only type of natural detox out there; here are more ways to cleanse your body and start fresh.
The liver is one of the organs which gathers the most toxins from our daily food intake, so it should be one of the first areas to focus on when detoxing. You can start detoxing your liver by eating limes, lemons, beets, carrots and celery. Spices like turmeric, cumin and curry also help clean your liver. Avoid coffee and soda when you are on a liver detox and opt for clean water.
Another part of the body where toxins build up is the colon. A seven-day detox program can help you get rid of all of these toxins from your colon by relying on herbs such as dandelion, chicory root, ginger; fibers such as beans, berries, seeds, nuts and herbal laxatives such as senna, cascara, yellow dock root and triphala.
As the name states it is a cleanse where one consumes only smoothies (mostly green smoothies) for three to seven days to help get rid of toxins in the body.
Other options to support your health include:
- drinking plenty of water throughout the day
- eating a diet high in soluble and insoluble fiber
- keeping added sugar intake to a minimum
- incorporating more raw fruits and vegetables into your diet, which can help aid digestion
- avoiding highly processed foods
- making time for rest, recovery, and relaxation
- practice deep breathing or meditation