Enhanced COVID-19 protocols announced in Saint Lucia
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet.
The Government of Saint Lucia has announced enhanced protocols in order to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet the announced the immediate implementation of the measures during an Update to the Nation on GIS/NTN Friday afternoon.
The measures were put into effect on the recommendations of the command centre, the chief medical officer, and consultations with the National Emergency Management Advisory Committee (NEMAC).
The Cabinet of Ministers has approved the following:
- Work from home where possible - All agencies and businesses should implement a Blended Service/ Operations Approach where possible for the employees. The approach should allow for the functioning of all services and operations utilizing online platforms and standard health protocol where feasible. This will reduce the physical numbers in the workplace and curb possible transmission.
- Reduced mass crowd events - Mass crowd events will be reduced from 50 to 25 people per venue per activity.
- Religious Institutions - Religious Institutions are to be guided by the square footage of their respective spaces. Each religious institution must be aware of how many people can access the building but the maximum number of people - 100 for those institutions that are very large.
- Business Operating Hours - Cease of all business operations and commercial activities by 9pm. This will assert a “Minimal Operations” approach. Exemptions will be listed. This will discourage the physical spread of people during typical hours of high-risk business activity island wide
- Extended closure of school compounds - Public and Private Educational Institutions should extend the closure of compounds and ensure continued learning via alternate and telecommunication mediums. This aligns with those aimed at reduced physical activity and mass gatherings.
- No consumption of alcohol on premises - Sale of Alcohol permissible – GRAB & GO BUSINESS AT BARS ONLY. All BARS and RESTAURANTS to close by 9pm. This will assist in limiting high-risk social gatherings and curb the possibility of community spread.
- Sporting activity change - The hosting of any contact-sports, high-risk sporting activities and events will be discouraged. NON-contact sports will be listed. This will assist in limiting high-risk social gatherings and curb the possibility of community spread.
- Limit movement advisory - Voluntarily limiting movement between 9pm and 5am. The Government encourages staying at home between the hours of 9pm to 5am in order to discourage the physical spread of people during typical hours of high-risk social activity island-wide.
The Government is calling on all Saint Lucians to join the effort in observing the protocols and keeping Saint Lucia safe.