Government scales back on Independence 41 celebrations
Minister responsible for Culture and Creative Industries, Senator Fortuna Belrose justifies government's decision to host independence activities on a low scale this year.
Compared to 2019, the hype for the February 22, 2020, celebrations appears to be very minimal.
The government in 2019 came under heavy fire for the grand celebrations which included a fireworks display.
The year-long celebrations came at a cost of EC 3 million dollars to taxpayers.
"We will scale it back," Senator Belrose declared.
"It was forty years last year so we did something big. We at 41 this year so we are scaling back," she said.
Already, a number of activities have been staged successfully.
These include the gospel festival, the Strides of Unity Relay, Youth Parliament and the Mr and Mrs Independence Pagaent.
The Best of Saint Lucia Concert showcasing local musicians and artists will be held this evening between the Castries Market and the Vendors Arcade followed by the Independence Parade on February 22 and the 88-mile challenge put on by the Northern Long Distance Walking Group where participants attempt to walk around the island, testing their endurance.
Belrose has assured public safety throughout, despite the current crime situation.
The police, she says, is integrally involved.
"In terms of the security and wellbeing of citizens at all times, we plan with the police, so every aspect of our program, every detail is looked at critically by the police and we are satisfied with the operational plans they have delivered to us," Belrose asserted.