StarKist Co. agreed to plead guilty to a felony price-fixing charge as part of a broad collusion investigation of the canned tuna industry, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Thursday. The DOJ said StarKist faces up to a $100 million fine when it is sentenced. Prosecutors allege that the industry's top three companies conspired between 2010 and 2013 to keep prices artificially high. "We have cooperated with the DOJ during the course of its investigation and accept responsibility," said StarKist chief executive Andrew Choe. "We will continue to conduct our business with the utmost transparency and integrity." StarKist is owned by South Korean company Dongwon Industries, one of the largest tuna catching companies in the world. The parent company's website carries pledges to abide by ethical standards and good corporate citizenship. The scheme came to light when Thai Union Group's Chicken of the Sea attempt to buy San Diego-based Bumble Bee failed in 2015, according to court records. Chicken of the Sea executives then alerted federal investigators, who agreed to shield the company from criminal prosecution in exchange for cooperation. Bumble Bee Foods last year pleaded guilty to the same charge and paid a $25 million fine, $111 million lower than prosecutors said it should have been. Prosecutors said they feared putting the financially struggling Bumble Bee out of business with a high fine and agreed to let the company make interest-free payments for five years. Two former executives of Bumble Bee and one from StarKist have also each pleaded guilty to price-fixing charges. None of them have been sentenced. Former Bumble Bee chief executive Christopher Lischewski has pleaded not guilty to a price-fixing charge. "The conspiracy to fix prices on these household staples had direct effects on the pocketbooks of American consumers," said Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim. In addition, the three companies face myriad lawsuits from wholesalers, food service companies and retailers such as Walmart, Target, and Kroger. Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store:http://bit.ly/GetALoop Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store:http://bit.ly/GetiLoop

Netflix shares jumped 6 percent in early trading after the company reported a big increase in subscribers. The video-streaming service added 7 million subscribers worldwide from July through September, far above the company's target of 5 million Investors typically pay more attention to Netflix's quarterly subscriber numbers than its profits, and investors' reaction to those numbers tends to be dramatic. Netflix shares rose $20.18 to $366.58. They remain well below the record high of $423.21 reached in June. Still, Netflix is one of the top performers in the S&P 500 this year with a gain of 80 percent as of Tuesday's close. Back in July, Netflix reported lower-than-expected subscriber growth for the second quarter, and its shares into a tailspin that knocked 20 percent off their value in a month. Not only did Netflix tops its projections for subscriber growth in the third quarter, it issued an optimistic outlook for the last three months of the year. Netflix predicted it will pick up another 9.4 million subscribers during the quarter ending in December — traditionally one of the company's busiest times because of all the subscriptions given as holiday gifts. Even so, the forecast calls for 1.1 million more subscribers than Netflix gained in the same period last year. Netflix ended September with 137 million worldwide subscribers, including 58.5 million in the U.S. For the latestnews, download our app athttp://bit.ly/GetALoopJMfor Android; and athttp://bit.ly/GetiLoopJMfor IoS.


THE National Works Agency (NWA) says another phase of traffic changes is to be implemented along the Mandela Highway in St Andrew, starting today Saturday, October 20. “The change which will last for a minimum of eight weeks will affect westbound traffic (traveling towards Spanish Town). The change will impact the section of the corridor in the vicinity of the Six Miles overpass,” the NWA said in a release. Stephen Shaw, the NWA's manager for communication and customer services, said that westbound traffic will be detoured onto a bailey bridge that has been installed in the vicinity of the overpass. “Movement along the Mandela, where it intersects Spanish Town Road and Washington Boulevard will be controlled by a newly installed, temporary traffic signal,” said Shaw. Shaw said that vehicles exiting Washington Boulevard will keep to the right to pass through the bailey bridge onto a newly constructed section of roadway, then continue onto the Mandela Highway in the vicinity of Tom Cringle Drive. The same will obtain for vehicles exiting Spanish Town Road. Both flows will be regulated by traffic signals. Shaw explained that these changes are to facilitate the construction of the last major structure under the Mandela Highway improvement works. The old metal structure over the Duhaney River is to be replaced by a concrete box culvert. The work will be done in two phases in order to all the continuous usage of the road. The highway is currently being improved at a cost of US $65 million as part of the Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP).

Cancer survivor Dr Debra Williams is now a Naturopathic Doctor and Medical Missionary

In April 2012, Dr Debra Williams was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her only symptom was a lump under her arm that moved into her left breast, getting constantly harder. For many, such a devastating diagnosis would have left them utterly hopeless. Indeed, Debra’s ownfamily cried “like I was dead before I was even dead”. But there were no such tears for Debra. Now a Naturopathic Doctor and Medical Missionary, Debra knew what had caused her cancer and knew how she would beat it. In the video below, she told Loop: “I know I had caused cancer by how I was living and how I was eating and how I was dealing with stress and so I decided to go back and correct what I had done to cause the cancer in the first place.” Stressing that cancer is NOT a death sentence, Debra made some lifestyle changes including cutting out meat, sugar and processed foods in her bid to beat the disease. And just nine months after she was diagnosed, she was completely cancer-free. But she has warned of an “explosion” in cancer in Jamaica and has urged persons to follow her wholesome lifestyle to beat the disease and avoid getting it in the first place.


Juventus' Cristiano Ronaldo heads the ball to hit the post during an Italian Serie A football match against Genoa, at the Alliance stadium in Turin, Italy, Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018.

Cristiano Ronaldo became the first player to net 400 goals across Europe's top five leagues. It wasn't enough on Saturday to maintain Juventus' perfect start to the season. Ronaldo, who has been accused of rape in a civil lawsuit in the United States, scored in the 1-1 draw against Genoa. It was his fifth Serie A goal in nine matches. Ronaldo has 311 goals in La Liga for Real Madrid, and 84 in the English Premier League for Manchester United. Juventus won all of its previous 10 matches across Serie A and the Champions League. Though Juve's lead in Italy was cut to four points after Napoli won at Udinese 3-0, coach Massimiliano Allegri believed this result would help his side for arguably its toughest test yet, Manchester United on Tuesday in Ronaldo's return to Old Trafford. "We drifted out of the game after a good start to the second half and, instead of making it 2-0, we let them make it 1-1," Allegri said. "This isn't good, because it's with matches like this that titles are lost. After 10 minutes of the second half we were already thinking about Manchester. We needed to have more focus. "But it's a draw that serves us well. It'll get our feet back to earth and help us understand that, to win matches, you need sacrifice and hard work." Ronaldo had last weekend off while Juventus was idle during the international break. Normally the star of his national team, he was left off Portugal's squad. Less than 20 minutes in on Saturday, he scored. There was a miscommunication between Genoa goalkeeper Ionut Radu and his defender on Joao Cancelo's cross from the left, allowing Ronaldo a simple tap-in at the far post. Genoa's first goal at Juventus since January 2013 came from Daniel Bessa with a header in the 67th minute. It was a memorable first match back in charge for Ivan Juric, who returned to Genoa for his third spell as coach. OFF THE BENCH The substitutes made the difference at Udinese. Fabian Ruiz replaced the injured Simone Verdi in the opening minutes and the midfielder scored his first Napoli goal in the 13th, curling a stunning 20-yard strike into the top right corner. Dries Mertens doubled Napoli's lead from the spot eight minutes from time after Udinese substitute Nicholas Opoku handled Jose Callejon's effort. There was still time for Marko Rog to score, just 40 seconds after coming off the bench. Napoli visits Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League on Wednesday. SPAL MAKES HISTORY Roma fell to a surprise 2-0 defeat at home to 10-man Spal, which won at the Stadio Olimpico for the first time in Serie A in 53 years. Roma went into the international break with four straight wins in all competitions while Spal had lost its last four. However, the visitors took the lead shortly before halftime when Andrea Petagna converted a penalty after Manuel Lazzari was fouled by Luca Pellegrini. Spal doubled its advantage 11 minutes after the break as Kevin Bonifazi headed in a corner at the near post. Spal goalkeeper Vanja Milinkovic-Savic — the younger brother of Lazio midfielder Sergej — did brilliantly to fingertip Pellegrini's effort onto the bar but swiftly went from hero to villain. Milinkovic-Savic was booked for time-wasting and he received a second yellow card seconds later for petulantly throwing the ball away, leaving Spal with 10 men for the final 15 minutes. However, it clung on for its first win at Roma in the top flight since 1965. Roma hosts CSKA Moscow in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Manchester City's Bernardo Silva celebrates with teammates after scoring his side's second goal during the English Premier League football match against Burnley at Etihad stadium in Manchester, England, Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018.

Joe Hart endured a tough return to former club Manchester City as Burnley was thrashed 5-0 by the champions in the English Premier League on Saturday. The former England goalkeeper earned a standing ovation at Etihad Stadium and made a series of fine saves on his first return to the club with whom he won two league titles in a decade of service. But Hart couldn't hold back City, which eased to a seventh victory in nine games with goals from Sergio Aguero, Bernardo Silva, Fernandinho, Riyad Mahrez and Leroy Sane. Aguero's goal was his 149th in the Premier League and without the excellence of Hart — and the Argentine's own uncharacteristic wastefulness — he could have had more. City was dominant in all aspects and made the result safe when Bernardo Silva and Fernandinho hit the team's second and third goals in quick succession early in the second half. That afforded City the luxury of easing Kevin De Bruyne back into action off the bench after two months out with a knee injury, and more goals followed. Another high-profile substitute, Raheem Sterling, was not even called upon.


Screen grab shows disgruntled Lyft passenger Robert Ortiz (left) on the phone. Also shown are driver Shawn Lettman (right) and Ortiz' companion.

A New York-based Lyft driver has raised over US$46,500 via a GoFundMe campaign he launched in response to his suspension from the transportation company after being accused of discrimination. A passenger, Robert Ortiz claimed driver Shawn Lettman discriminated against him for being gay and supporting US president Donald Trump, after Lettman denied his music request. In a 16-minute viral video of the incident, Ortiz is seenscolding Lettman during a tirade in which he also racially abused the driver, who is black, by calling him a “nig**r” multiple times. Lettman mostly remained quiet during Ortiz's tantrum. The disgruntled passenger also called the police with the claims of discrimination and called Lyft threatening to file a lawsuit against the transportation company. Following the incident, Ortiz was fired from his CityMD job after a video of his tirade was posted online. However, arising from the incident, Lettman’s Lyft account was suspended pending an investigation. He launched a GoFundMe seeking to raise US$20,000 to cover expenses including rent and car payments, but he exceeded that target, receiving support from over 2,000 persons. “Thanks for the support,” said Lettman in a video response to his Gofundme on Facebook. “My account was deactivated and that is protocol. I am aware of it and I signed off on it and its company policy.” He explained that he avoided getting into a physical altercation with Ortiz, “Because I would definitely be behind bars and he would definitely be in the hospital. “I didn’t think violence was the solution at that point. I felt what I did was the best method ….he was trying to bait me into responding aggressively,” Lettman said. Lettman’s Lyft account has since been reactivated. For the latest news, download our app athttp://bit.ly/GetALoopJMfor Android; and athttp://bit.ly/GetiLoopJMfor IoS.

Rep. Greg Gianforte, R-Mont., speaks as President Donald Trump stands right during a campaign rally at Minuteman Aviation Hangar, Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018, in Missoula, Mont. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

President Donald Trump praised a Republican congressman for body-slamming a reporter last year, calling him a "tough cookie" and saying he thinks it might have helped him win election in Montana. At a campaign rally in Missoula Thursday, Trump lauded Rep. Greg Gianforte, who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault for an attack on Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs. The attack came a day before Gianforte won a 2017 special election to serve the remaining 18 months in the House term vacated by now-Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke. "Any guy that can do a body slam — he's my kind of guy," Trump said to cheers and laughter from the crowd. "He's a great guy, tough cookie." His remarks praising Gianforte come amid an international furor over the apparent assassination of a Washington Post columnist, who, according to an account in Turkey's Yeni Safak newspaper, allegedly had his fingers cut off and was decapitated inside a Saudi consulate in Istanbul two weeks ago. In the case of Gianforte, witnesses including members of a Fox News crew say Gianforte became enraged over what he perceived as biased coverage before body-slamming Jacobs, throwing him to the ground and punching him. Gianforte initially misled investigators about what had happened, falsely claiming that Jacobs had grabbed him by the wrist and pulled both of them to the floor, according to documents released under a court order following requests from news agencies. The president said he was in Rome with other world leaders when he heard about what had happened. "And I said, oh, this is terrible. He's going to lose the election," Trump recalled. "And then I said, well, wait a minute. I know Montana pretty well. I think it might help him. And it did." Gianforte pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge in June 2017 and said in an apology letter that he alone was responsible for the attack. He paid a $385 fine and completed 40 hours of community service and 20 hours of anger management counseling. He also donated $50,000 to the Committee to Protect Journalists. Trump referenced Gianforte again later in the rally when discussing former Vice President Joe Biden, who once said he would "beat the hell out of" Trump if they were in high school. On Biden challenging him to a fight, Trump said, "He'd be down, faster than Greg would take him down." Gianforte, who attended the rally with the president, is up for re-election in November and faces former state legislator Kathleen Williams. The president's next stop on his three-day trip out West is Arizona.